Have you ever considered owning a dairy goat? They are pretty darn awesome if I say so myself and here are 5 of the countless reasons why:
1. They make great family pets! I know, I know...you shouldn't call livestock pets, but darn they are so friendly, cute and fun. The kids can feed them from their hands, the goats follow the kids all over the pasture and their is nothing like goat cuddles when you are down.
2. They are (sorta) easy to keep. Contrary to popular belief, it is not that hard to keep them penned in (Once you patch every single hole in your fence...every single one) Also, their diet is simple...grass.
3. They are awesome alarm systems. Every time someone pulls up to the house the goats raise their heads look that way and usually start maaing. If I am at my kitchen window (which looks out onto the goat pasture) I always know when we have company just by watching the herd.
4. They are so efficient. We can move them around the farm using electrical fencing and they will eat down EVERYTHING, they do not tear up the ground like pigs or cattle, each spring my does deliver between 2-3 kids EACH, which in turn I sell to pay for their feed and care costs for the next year.
5. FRESH MILK and CHEESE! If fed a clean diet and kept away from the bucks, doe goats can produce a clean fresh tasting milk without any of that "gamey" flavor that people too often assume comes with goat milk. Also, fresh chevre cheese is awesome! I milk throughout the summer and freeze the milk in gallon bags, and then throughout the winter I use the milk to make all my soaps and lotions.
Teacher. Student. Mother. Daughter. Sister. Wife. Farmer (well... I try).